(Add-On) Academy Training: Power Query, Data Modeling & DAX
Power Query, Data Modeling & DAX - 2 Day Training
This 2 Day Onsite Workshop will run 28-29 June, 2020 from 9:00am-5:00pm Central European Standard Time each day.
Day I – Mastering Power Query and M
Power Query is the data shaper. It allows you to connect to 80+ data sources and prepare your data for analysis. It is now everywhere: Power BI Desktop, Power BI Service (dataflows), Microsoft Flow, Common Data Service, SSAS & Azure Analysis Services.
We will cover the most important topics on Power Query starting from basics
• Basic transformations using the User Interface: Filter, Rename Columns, Replace Values, Split, Fill Down, Unpivot
• Best practices for using Power Query efficiently
• Understanding the Power Query objects: Tables, Lists, Records, Functions
• M Language Introduction
• Using the advanced editor and creating your own custom functions in the M language
Main Exercises: Cleaning Dirty Data using the user Interface of Power Query, appending multiple files in a Folder, appending multiple sheets from an Excel workbook, creating your own function to generate a Calendar Table, working with lists & records.
At the end of this day, you should master the key components of Power Query and understand deeply its logic. You will be able to be able to build robust, scalable, re-usable queries following best practices.
Day II – Demystifying Data Modelling & DAX
The Data Model and DAX are the heart of Power BI. They allow you to slice & dice the data, build custom KPIs to answer your business questions.
During this full-day session, We will demystify the most important concepts on Data Modelling & DAX so you feel at ease and autonomous using this language.
Topics covered through practical exercises:
• Data Modelling best practices and key benefits in Power BI
• Introduction to the DAX language
• Understanding Row Context & Filter Context
• Calculated Column vs Measure
• Main DAX Functions: Aggregators (Sum, Countrows, etc.), Calculate, Filter, All, Values, Time-Intelligence (MTD, YTD, Last Year), Switch
Main Exercises: Designing a proper Data Model in Power BI, building DAX measures such as ratios, Time-Intelligence Calculations and playing with the DAX contexts.
At the end of this day, you should master the key concepts around Data Modelling & DAX in Power BI. You will feel more comfortable and autonomous for building measures and adapt them to your needs.
Bring in your own laptop with the latest version of Power BI Desktop.
Tristan Malherbe ~ Tristan is an experienced trainer who has delivered 30+ trainings in France and in Europe and has delivered other Academy workshops in Dublin & Copenhagen.