Saturday Short Courses
Additional fees apply. Visit https://www.slas2020.org/program/short-course-program/ for registration fees.
Python is one of the most popular multi-purpose, cross-platform programming languages due to its ease of use, rich library, and broad range of applications. This introductory hands-on course will teach you the basics of Python programming and how to use it to solve authentic tasks commonly encountered in a scientific laboratory. Topics covered include data handling, analysis and report generation, and task automation.
Bring your own laptop with software installed, or create a free account with our cloud-hosted Data Science Platform partner.
Who Should Attend:
• Scientists working with data of all types
• Laboratory managers interested in reducing data to interpretable results
• Integrators with a need to monitor automated system operation
• Students with a desire to learn how to wrangle and present their results
How You Will Benefit From This Course?
• You will learn the basics of Python programming from seasoned instructors
• You will load data from a variety of sources and transform into analyzable data structures
• You will perform basic data analysis and be introduced to Python’s statistical capabilities
• You will discover how to monitor the file system for changes and process data automatically
• You will be introduced to Python’s ability to generate reports in various formats
• You will learn how to communicate results automatically
• You will package your programs for distribution to various operating systems
• Introduction to Python and its role in a scientific laboratory
• Data types and expressions
• Sequencing of tasks, conditional execution, and iteration
• Accessing data from files, spreadsheets, databases, and web services
• Data munging, basic statistics, and scientific plotting
• Creating Word and PDF files
• Watching for changes on a file system
• Sending email and SMS messages
• Distributing your Python programs