Kick off Friday with a plenary session you will not want to miss.
Ashraf Habibullah presents “Structural Engineering: Indispensable to Civilization – So Why Don’t We Have More Influence? Why Don’t We Make More Money?”
It is a fact that a structural engineering education is focused almost exclusively on technical topics with practically no exposure to human engineering. Could that be the reason why structural engineers do not even begin to reflect the profession’s immeasurable contributions to humanity? And why our profession is not even in the running for any high‐profile recognition or prize, such as a Nobel? Research conducted at the Carnegie Mellon University’s College of Engineering has suggested that only 15% of your financial success is due to your technical expertise. The other 85% is due to your skills in human engineering, i.e. your personality and your ability to deal effectively with people. And as strategic use of economic power translates into influence and recognition, perhaps a closer look at the need for an education involving human engineering is in order. In this talk, Ashraf emphasizes the need for a human engineering‐based education. He convincingly demonstrates, with his usual enthusiasm and humor, why it is important to cultivate deep personal beliefs, to develop public speaking skills and to become familiar with the arts, human psychology and human chemistry. These talents will enable young engineers to enter the professional world ready to lead, influence and inspire so that they can command the fees that are commensurate with their immeasurable contributions to society. It is structural engineers, after all, who preserve the past, build the future, and save lives…every time the wind blows. This is a presentation that will change your perspective – forever – on everything you thought you knew about our noble profession!
Ashraf Habibullah, Registered Civil & Structural Engineer, is President and CEO of Computers and Structures, Inc. (CSI). Founded in 1975, CSI is recognized globally as the pioneering leader in software tools for structural and earthquake engineering. CSI software, including SAP2000, CSiBridge, ETABS, SAFE, and PERFORM‐3D, is used by thousands of engineering firms in over 160 countries worldwide