Codes and Standards
Full Session without Abstracts
Description: ASCE/SEI 7 Minimum Design Loads and Associated Criteria for Buildings and Other Structures is a nationally-adopted loading standard for the analysis and design of buildings and other structures. The 2016 edition of this consensus standard was adopted into the 2018 International Building Code. There are four ASCE 7-16 sessions planned to present brief overviews of the significant changes to the topic areas.
This session will include discussion on the new wind maps, the revisions of the GCp values for components and cladding, two design examples utilizing the updated/new provisions, and a general overview of the changes to the wind chapters of ASCE 7-16. A comparison between ASCE 7-10 and ASCE 7-16 wind roof pressures will be included.
This is the third of four sessions on ASCE 7-16, which will also include an overview of the new digital platform and webtool.
• Understand the significant updates to the wind provisions in ASCE 7-16
• Become familiar with changes to the wind maps
• Appreciate the overview from new GCp values and rationale for inclusion
• Peter Vickery, ASCE 7-16 Wind Loads Subcommittee; “New Wind Maps for ASCE 7-16: The Rationale and Confirmation” (20 mins)
• Peter Vickery, ASCE 7-16 Wind Loads Subcommittee; “Components and Cladding and the new GCp values” (30 mins)
• Bill Coulbourne, ASCE 7-16 Wind Loads Subcommittee; “Design Examples Utilizing New/Updated ASCE 7-16 Provisions” (20 mins)
• Don Scott, Chair; ASCE 7-16 Wind Loads Subcommittee; “An Overview of Wind Provisions in ASCE 7-16” (20 mins)