Full Session without Abstracts
Topic: Structural Innovation – Materials, Analysis or Design
Title: Advances in Performance Based Engineering for Wind Design of Buildings
Description: Performance based engineering (PBE) has been used on many seismic building designs for the last twenty years and the principals learned are now being applied to the design of buildings for wind. Research is currently being done, and pre-standard guidance developed, for the design practices of PBE for wind design. This research and guidance include both provisions for the main wind force resisting system as well as the design of the components and cladding present on the buildings.
This session will give examples of non-linear building analysis for wind loading, current performance criteria used in the design of tall buildings, expected damage levels for various performance levels, system versus component reliability for buildings designed for wind loading, and a presentation on the new “ASCE/SEI Wind Performance Based Design Pre-Standard” being developed.
• Understand the limitations and requirements for non-linear analysis for wind loading
• Become familiar with the current performance criteria used in the design of tall buildings
• Understand the reliability basis of these new provisions for wind and the incorporation of this reliability basis into the ASCE 7-22 Standard.
• Learn of the contents of the new “ASCE/SEI Wind Performance Based Design Pre-Standard”
• ASCE Wind Engineering Division
• SEI Technical Activities Division
• ASCE 7-22 Wind Load Subcommittee
Moderator: Donald Scott, Chair ASCE 7 Wind Loads Subcommittee; email@example.com
• Finley Charney, Chair of Subcommittee on Performance Based Wind Engineering of the ASCE Wind Engineering Division; “Inelastic Response of Building Structures under Extreme Wind Loading” (15 mins)
• Preetam Biswas, Chair of SEI Technical Committee on Performance Based Design of Buildings for Wind of the SEI Technical Activities Division; “Current performance criteria used in the design of tall buildings” (15 mins)
• Russell Larsen, Chair of ASCE 7-22 Wind Loads - Performance Based Design Subcommittee; “ASCE 7-22 Building Performance Guidelines” (15 mins)
• Therese McAllister, Chair of ASCE 7-22 Load Combinations Subcommittee; “System Reliability Basis for Performance Based Design for Wind” (15 mins)
• Don Scott, Chair; ASCE 7-16 Wind Loads Subcommittee & Principal Investigator of the ASCE/SEI Wind Performance Based Design Pre-Standard; “An Overview of the new ASCE/SEI Wind Performance Based Design Pre-Standard” (15 mins)