13th Annual Global Embolization Symposium & Technologies
Purpose : To evaluate the long term results of PAE, focusing on patient experience.
Material and Methods : Between December 2013 and July 2015, we performed PAE in 47 consecutive patients because of failure or intolerance to medical treatment and refusal of surgery using calibrated particles (Embopsheres 300-500). Three patients who were lost to follow-up were excluded from the study. Our study group consisted of 44 patients and we defined clinical success as absence of need for invasive treatments after PAE. In addition, phone interview was conducted to assess patient’s experience. By asking them if they would re-do PAE and if they would recommend it to their relatives.
Results : At a mean follow up of 43.9 ± 5.2 month after PAE, clinical success was and 80% (35/44). The remaining 20% of patients (9/44) underwent surgery and were considered as clinical failures.
At the end of follow-up, among the 35 clinically successful patients, 83% (29/35) had no residual LUTS (4 of them with medical treatment) and 17% (6/35) complained of some degree of bothersome LUTS at long term after PAE. All of the clinical successful patients (n=35) answered they would re-do PAE and they would recommend it to their relatives (flow diagram).
Conclusions : After more than 4 years follow up, 80 % of patients are free from surgery and would recommend PAE to their relatives, or redo PAE if they would be in the same clinical situation.