Additional Registration Fee Required
Gender-affirming Genital Surgery is a new course presented by the AUA in collaboration with the Society for Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons (GURS). This course covers both adult male-to-female and female-to-male common gender-affirming genital surgeries.
This course will consist of a series of lectures and panel discussions by leaders in gender-affirming genital surgery. Faculty will include expert urologists and plastic surgeons from the U.S. and Europe. Lectures will focus on surgical and anatomic details needed to perform vaginoplasty, metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, and implant surgery after phalloplasty, as well as discussion on how to treat complications and revisions. The course is meant for surgeons that have an active surgical practice, are considering starting a surgical practice, or are treating the complications associated with gender-affirming genital surgery.
Join us starting at 9 a.m. for an optional session which will focus on gaps in knowledge and outcomes reporting in gender-affirming surgery research. This group’s discussion will be summarized into a document that makes recommendations about these topics.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
1. Examine techniques used for construction of the neoclitoris, dissection of the neovaginal space, and how to construct the neovagina in gender-affirming vaginoplasty.
2. Describe techniques of colpectomy and colpocleisis used in gender-affirming trans-masculine surgery, and compare how these are different from surgery in cis-gender women.
3. Identify the surgical techniques of metoidioplasty.
4. Discuss strategies for surgical staging, urethral reconstruction, and management of complications related to gender-affirming phalloplasty.
5. Describe techniques used in placement of erectile implants after gender-affirming phalloplasty.