Surveillance and Technology
30/30 Education Session - 30 minutes
Traditional ways of performing hand hygiene observations have been handwritten observations or expensive hand hygiene electronic monitoring. A new approach is the use of application-based surveillance, on both smartphones and computers, which provides advantages over traditional methods.
Benefits of using app-based observation tools include:
• Reduced bias due to increased participation from all employees which can mitigate favor between groups;
• Adaptability for use by IPs of all career levels in any facility;
• Demonstrable metrics which can be presented to senior leadership to highlight the financial, regulatory, and safety advantages of more efficient hand hygiene observation;
• The ability to monitor PPE more effectively; and
• Rapid time-to-implement the use of the app across the facility, particularly where staff is already technologically-savvy and familiar with app-based programs.
Participants will learn from the real-life experiences of the presenters’ facility that demonstrate the advantages of adopting an app-based surveillance system.