Stop knocking on the back door of major institutions, begging for admittance to community meetings, and hoping for the crumbs in the bottom of the community purse! You can confidently take your rightful place as a community leader with the skills to drive community success!
• Forming the Mindset: Librarians have the smarts and the partnership experience to successfully lead initiatives and drive change in the community!
• Becoming Relevant: Librarians can prove the relevancy and essential nature of public libraries by taking their place at the head table and proving their transformational capacity!
• Taking it to the Top: Librarians can speed change by challenging top community leaders while still supporting those working in the trenches!
• Winning the Prize: Librarians champion vulnerable and marginalized populations--and should feel empowered to (courteously) demand political and economic support for efforts to drive community success!
• How to build your confidence to put yourself on the path to leadership success
o Small groups: Share common frustrations in becoming part of the head table
• How to prove public library relevancy by asserting your library’s worth as a community partner and sharing the essential nature of library staff, resources and services in major community initiatives
o Small groups: Create a 2-3 sentence elevator speech on why you and your library are necessary to community success
• How to handle Top Down-Bottom Up Partnerships that touch all levels of an organization
o Small Groups: Complete a worksheet that constructs a pathway to partnership success
• How to confidently negotiate political and economic support for the library and your community
o Small Groups: Declare your commitment to take at least one action to improve your place at the table in your community
ALA Unit/Subunit: PLA
Meeting Type: Program
Cost: Included with full conference registration.