Leadership and Professional Skills
377. Dietitians in the Driver’s Seat for Strategic Planning
Sunday, October 21
10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Session Level 2 - Intermediate
Nutrition centers within healthcare or community organizations can be best positioned for success when their work aligns with the goals and priorities of their supervising organization. Directors and clinical nutrition managers must create a strategy within their business units that provides direction and purpose to the work they complete. The first step is getting acclimated to an organization’s strategy and working with leadership to determine how nutrition may align. Next is the planning and execution of the actual work that drives forward the strategy. Nutrition is a desired role in this process as it is supportive of various current, innovative and profitable healthcare industry trends. This session will highlight how the Center for Human Nutrition was able to align its work with the strategy of the Cleveland Clinic to develop meaningful tactics and outcomes. Attendees will also learn how this process can be applied to their own work, regardless of their facility’s size and structure.
Award Presentation: Excellence in Practice – Management Practice Award
Christina M. Rollins, MS, RDN, LDN, CLSSGB
- Identify what it means to be strategic in work and indicate ways in which the strategic planning process is used to drive the work of an organization forward to meet common goals and priorities.
- Recognize the key role that nutrition can play in a healthcare or community organization when its work is aligned with an overall strategy with priorities that may include population management, digtialization systemness, and access, among others.
- Determine a process for developing a strategic plan, including tools and resources to implement and execute meaningful and deliberate work that will produce valuable outcomes and richly contribute to the overall success of an organization.
Learning Need Codes:
- 1070 - Leadership, critical and strategic thinking
- 7180 - Strategic planning
- 7010 - Business plan development