Hydraulics & Waterways

Oral

394111 - Morphologic Assessment of Chevron Construction on the Upper Mississippi River

Tuesday, June 5
10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Regency Room
Co-Authors: David Gordon, St. Louis District – US Army Corps of Engineers; Donald Duncan, St. Louis District – US Army Corps of Engineers; Timothy Lauth, St. Louis District – US Army Corps of Engineers

In highly engineered fluvial systems such as the Mississippi River, river training structures are commonly used to manage the sediment response within the channel through the constriction and deflection of near-bank flow over and around the structures toward a desired navigation centerline. In recent years, detached river training structures, termed chevrons, have been used to manage the sediment response as well as promote development of near structure aquatic habitat. Chevrons are “U”- or “V”-shaped rock structures with their apexes oriented upstream to divide flow smoothly. The Mississippi River is routinely monitored through continuous single-beam cross-section bathymetric surveys. These monitoring efforts along the Mississippi River have yielded a robust spatial and temporal database of hundreds of bathymetric surveys, spanning over two decades. The objective of this study is to quantify the long-term morphologic response of five chevrons constructed along the Mississippi River upstream of Lock and Dam 25 in 2013 through comparisons of the pre- and post-chevron construction morphologic trends. This study will utilize a cross-section database composed of 150 surveys: 60% of the surveys were collected prior to chevron construction and the remaining 40% were collected post-chevron construction.

Lacey Venhaus

Hydraulic Engineer
US Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis District

Presentation(s):

Send Email for Lacey Venhaus

Lisa Andes

Hydrologic Engineer
US Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis District

Presentation(s):

Send Email for Lisa Andes


Assets

394111 - Morphologic Assessment of Chevron Construction on the Upper Mississippi River



Attendees who have favorited this

Please enter your access key

The asset you are trying to access is locked. Please enter your access key to unlock.

Send Email for Morphologic Assessment of Chevron Construction on the Upper Mississippi River