Giant breeds including Turkish Kangal dogs are prone to myocardial diseases. Speckle tracking echocardiography (STE) has been used to measure two-dimensional strain in dogs. Measurements from clinically normal dogs of same breed are needed for canine clinical practice. The objective of this prospective study was to obtain STE data in a routine echocardiographic examination in Turkish Kangal dogs for reference values.
Fifty-two healthy adult Turkish Kangal dogs were included to be scanned under normal clinical conditions to obtain standard echocardiographic parameters and STE data. Five dogs were dropped from study due to poor image quality; therefore, a total of 47 dogs (90.3%) were included in the statistical analysis. Of 47 dogs, 31 were females and 16 were males. The mean age of dogs was 39.6 ± 3.0 months-old (range:10-108). In 47 dogs, STE data was obtained from three scanning planes. The mean peak radial strain at the apex (A-Rs) was 44.7 ± 13.0%, the mean peak radial strain at the papillary muscle level (PM-Rs) was 41.1 ± 14.7%, and the mean peak radial strain at the base (B-Rs) was 34.1 ± 15.7%. The mean peak circumferential strain at the apex (A-Cs) was -16.4 ± 5.3%, the mean peak circumferential strain at the papillary muscle level (PM-Cs) was -14.8 ± 3.4%, and the mean peak circumferential strain at the base (B-Cs) was -15.8 ± 4.2%.
As a conclusion, this technique can be part of normal echocardiographic examinations in Turkish Kangal dogs under clinical conditions. Our results are similar, in part, with the results of avaliable one report which was performed in 44 mature Irish Wolfhound dogs1. However, in order to compare the usefulness of STE data reported here, future studies should be designed in larger populations of Turkish Kangal dogs with cardiologic disorders.
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ankara, Ankara, Turkey
Name : OSMAN SAFA
Surname : TERZİ
E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Phone Number : +90 (312) 317 03 15 - 4293
Title : RESEARCH ASSISTANT
Department : Internal Medicine Department
Department of Internal Medicine Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ankara University Ankara – TURKEY
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine , June 2009 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Kırıkkale, Kırıkkale – Turkey
Clinical Training Since Sept 2012 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ankara, Ankara - Turkey Department of Clinical Sciences, small animal hospital .
Stem cell therapy, IPS therapy
PUBLICATIONS - (SSCI,SCI,SCI-EXPANDED,AHCI)
1. Atmaca H.T., Kul O., Karakuş E., Terzi O.S., Canpolat S., Anteplioğlu T. (2014). Astrocytes, microglia/macrophages, and neurons expressing Toll-like receptor 11 contribute to innate immunity against encephalitic Toxoplasma gondii infection. Neuroscience, 269, 184-191.
2. Atmaca HT, Dincel GC, Macun HC, Terzi OS, Uzunalioglu T, Kalender H, Kul O. (2013). A rare case of feline congenital Toxoplasma gondii infection: fatal outcome of systemic toxoplasmosis for the mother and its kitten.. Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr.
3. Kul O, Yildiz K, Ocal N, Freyre A, Deniz A, Karahan S, Atmaca HT, Gokpinar S, Dincel GC, Uzunalioğlu T, Terzi OS. In-vivo efficacy of toltrazuril on experimentally induced Toxoplasma gondii tissue cysts in lambs: a novel strategy for prevention of human exposure to meat-borne toxoplasmosis. Res Vet Sci. 2013 Apr;94(2):269-76. doi: 10.1016/j.rvsc.2012.08.001.
4. Kocak OM, Atmaca HT, Terzi OS, Buyukkayaer S, Ozdemir H, Uzunalioglu T, Dincel C, Bal E, Kul O. Experimental Chronic Toxoplasmosis Model in Mice: Brain Lesions and Related Behavioral Changes, Archives of Neuropsychiathry DOI: 10.4274/npa.y6302 .
5. Atmaca HT, Kul O, Dinçel GÇ, Terzi OS Left Ventricular Mass In A Simental Calf : Cavernous Hemangioma, Tierärztliche Praxis (Großtiere), 39; 391-392 , 2011
Friday, June 15
3:00 PM – 3:15 PM
The asset you are trying to access is locked. Please enter your access key to unlock.