Category: Assessment

PS6- #C75 - Utility of the Outcome Questionnaire-45.2: Results From a Treatment-Seeking Sample With Anxiety and Related Disorders

Friday, Nov 17
2:45 PM – 3:45 PM
Location: Indigo Ballroom CDGH, Level 2, Indigo Level

Keywords: Assessment | Psychotherapy Outcome | Transdiagnostic

The Outcome Questionnaire-45.2 (OQ-45) is a self-report measure of general psychological distress that was developed to assess treatment progress and outcome in psychotherapy.  Although intended to be transdiagnostic, the OQ-45 may be best conceptualized as a measure of depressive symptoms; as such, its utility in assessing other symptoms such as anxiety is unclear.  The current study examined the rates of elevated scores on the OQ-45 in a sample of 347 patients (55.9% female) diagnosed with anxiety and related disorders, half of whom had co-occurring depression.  In addition to the OQ, patients completed self-report measures of depression and anxiety symptoms.  In the full sample, 82% of patients scored above the OQ clinical cut-off, leaving 18% who were incorrectly screened out by the OQ.  Patients with co-occurring depression were more likely to score above the OQ clinical cut-offs than were patients without co-occurring depression.  Amongst the patients with co-occurring depression, 95% scored above the OQ clinical cut-off, leaving only 5% who were incorrectly screened out. Furthermore, self-reported depression significantly predicted many of the OQ total and subscale scores, even after controlling for scores on anxiety-specific measures.  By contrast, most of the anxiety-specific measures failed to predict the OQ after controlling for depression.  Taken together, the findings suggest that the OQ-45 may not adequately capture symptoms of anxiety and related disorders, and will be discussed in terms of implications for diagnostic screening and assessment.

Amber Billingsley

Research Assistant
Anxiety Disorders Center, The Institute of Living
Hartford, Connecticut

Akanksha Das

Research Assistant
Anxiety Disorders Center, The Institute of Living
Hartford, Connecticut

Hannah Levy

Post Doctoral Fellow
Anxiety Disorders Center, The Institute of Living
Hartford, Connecticut

Kristen Springer

Psychologist
Anxiety Disorders Center, The Institute of Living
Hartford, Connecticut

Scott Hannan

Psychologist
Anxiety Disorders Center, The Institute of Living
Hartford, Connecticut

David F. Tolin

Director
Anxiety Disorders Center, The Institute of Living
Hartford, Connecticut